Circular solution for the textile industry
“Glaukos is the Greek sea god of fishermen.
He was commonly believed to protect the ocean; and so is the ambition of this project developing innovative alternatives for textiles that are currently polluting our ocean.”
Glaukos will develop biobased textile fibres and textile coatings that are adapted to the needs of the 21st century.
The complete life cycle of clothing and fishing gear will be redesigned, their sustainability performance will be enhanced significantly, while their technical performance will be matched to end-user requirements.
The ambition is to significantly reduce the carbon and plastic footprint of clothing and fishing gear.
- Mitigate microplastic pollution by increasing the biodegradation rate of materials compared to conventional (micro) plastics.
- Reconcile the biodegradation characteristics with technical performance and durability to ensure the effective and long-term use of textile products such as fishing gear and clothing.
- Boost the bio-recycling potential of the Glaukos biobased textile products by developing compatible recycling biocatalysts.
- Develop eco-friendly fishing gear coatings with increased biobased content and increase the biobased content of textile products.
- Engage stakeholders across the textile industry by:
- Setting up Stakeholder Labs for the clothing and fishing gear industry. Facilitate the interaction between partners and relevant stakeholders in relation to end-user requirements and policy
- Communicate with the broader public, as well as specific thematic communities
- Enhance the framework for sustainable innovation in the textile industry.
Glaukos will develop eco-designed fishing gear and clothing, and scale up their production process, all the way from renewable feedstock to textile prototype and ending with two end-of-life (EOL) solutions: biodegradation and bio-recycling.